i4 vs i5 vs other EVs?

BMW i4 Forum

Help Support BMW i4 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brently Allen

The i5 is coming out soon. I've been looking at EVs a while and started with Tesla which I'm sure most of us did. Both are established at this point so is the difference really just the amenities?

Are you happy with your i4? Do you wish you had waited for the i5? Did you consider any other electric vehicles before you pulled the trigger on the i4? The electric market is pretty new so I'm just looking for opinions on why you went with the i4.

A bit late of a reply...
The i4 and i5 are the same platform as far as battery and motor. The primary difference being cabin space and the i5 has a boot lid rather than the i4's hatch.
It is a bit easier ingress on the i5 as I am tall, but to me the driving dynamics are better with the i4 - once I am in the i4 i forget about the rest. the i5 is a bit 'chunkier' in the dynamics.
On the motorway I would probably prefer the 5. for anything fun, the 4.

I came across this comparison between two prominent EVs, the Tesla Model 3 Long Range and BMW i4 by Adrien-Maxime MENSAH on Beev:

Focus on the two electric models

The electric electric vehicle has evolved and continues to evolve rapidly. Drivers not only demand style and class when they buy a BMW, they also expect exceptional performance and range. The BMW i4 has been designed with the luxury, style and prestige of the traditional BMW 4 Series sedan. It is the first true electric BMW for fans of the brand. It is clearly distinguishable from its more eccentric big sister, the BMW I3. Nor is it a large electric SUV like the BMW iX.

For its part, since the Tesla Model 3 Long Range on the market, it has gone from from sales record to sales record. And with good reason: it finished the first six months of 2021 as the best-selling electric car in France in France, with more than 13,000 models sold. This excellent performance was also helped by the conversion bonus and the ecological bonus despite its €1,000 reduction. It also has no reason to be ashamed of its tenth place in the top 10 car sales figures for all engines for the same year.

Another notable competitor to the Tesla Grande Autonomie, the Polestar 2the Swedish-Chinese Volvo GroupThe Polestar 2 scores points with its solid construction, quality materials and good driving characteristics. The Tesla Model 3 Long Range continues to build on the minimalist approach that Tesla consistently adopts with the design of its vehicles. The absence of buttons on the Model 3 gives it a futuristic feel and is much appreciated by fans of the brand.

Tesla Model 3 Grande Autonomie vs BMW I4: comfort and practicality

The German brand's 4 Series is an electric electric sedan, but also a four-door Gran Coupé. In terms of practicality, we regret that the roof height doesn't offer much headroom for passengers, especially those seated in the rear. They'll quickly feel cramped! This is even more true for taller people. This is mainly due to the BMW i4 s battery pack, which is located under the vehicle floor and rear seats. BMW noticed this and modified the roofline of the electric car.

It is now about 1.50 metres on the new models. To give you an idea, it's higher by seven to eight centimeters than the roof height of equivalent combustion-powered cars. This small difference is immediately noticeable in the comfort of rear-seat passengers. The slightly higher seating position offers a better view of the outside world, making for a more pleasant ride. The electric car with an external length of 4.80 meters (ten centimetres longer than its competitor, the Model 3) offers more legroom.

In direct comparison, however, the Tesla Model 3 Long Range scores points with its standard glass roof, which seems appears a little more airy, and extends right up to the trunk. A great strength for the American model, providing extra headroom. Nevertheless, the Tesla Grande Autonomie's low seating position offers little space for adults sitting in the back, forcing them to bend their legs. This becomes uncomfortable on long journeys. A very penalizing big negative point for the Tesla Model 3. The BMW I4 has a clear advantage in this respect.

Some technical specifications

BMW i4 M50Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Motor power400 kW328 kW
Number of horses286 hp351 hp
Autonomy510 km602 km
Battery power84 kWh82 kWh
AC wallbox load power11 kW11 kW
AC recharge time8 h 25 min8 h 15 min
DC fast charge power200 kW250 kW
Fast recharge time31 min27 min
0 to 100 km/h3.9 sec4.4 sec
Fuel consumption (WLTP)22.5 kWh/100 km15 kWh/100 km
Maximum speed190 km/h233 km/h

The i4 is more comfortable, more appreciable, depending on the engine chosen, more economical and goes further on a single battery charge than the Tesla Grande Autonomie. In terms of assistance system capabilities, BMW clearly outperforms Tesla Grande Autonomie. For the difference in quality compared with the Tesla Model 3 Grande Autonomie, the price difference is therefore understandable.

However, the price can go up very quickly if you want to add extra options to your electric car. electric car. For some people, their choice will go straight to the BMW because of their attachment to the brand and its authenticity. For others, Tesla's technological superiority and its Supercharger network make it a strong argument in their decision to buy between the two electric cars.

https://www.beev.co/en/blog/electri...performance,car for covering many kilometers.

Those numbers are really off, at least on the BMW. Horsepower on the M50 is 500+ - NOT 286. Even the E35 has higher output than that posted.

Also of note, BMW under-rates their range. Tesla, not so much. They constantly exaggerate their range.

Those numbers are really off, at least on the BMW. Horsepower on the M50 is 500+ - NOT 286. Even the E35 has higher output than that posted.

Also of note, BMW under-rates their range. Tesla, not so much. They constantly exaggerate their range.
exactly, that review was very inaccurate. it should have compared the i4m40 rather than the m50, better range, more comparable hp to model 3

The i5 is coming out soon. I've been looking at EVs a while and started with Tesla which I'm sure most of us did. Both are established at this point so is the difference really just the amenities?

Are you happy with your i4? Do you wish you had waited for the i5? Did you consider any other electric vehicles before you pulled the trigger on the i4? The electric market is pretty new so I'm just looking for opinions on why you went with the i4.
i5 is merely a larger, heavier i4, thus slower and less range and IMHO far less attractive, very ordinary

Latest posts

Back