Optimizing BMW i4 Battery Longevity

BMW i4 Forum

Help Support BMW i4 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalvestonBMW

I'm looking to dive into the best practices for maintaining and prolonging the battery life of our BMW i4s. The user manual suggests a specific charge level to maintain battery health, and I'm curious about additional strategies.

I'd love to hear your experiences and advice on:
  • Charging frequency: Would regular, smaller charges be better, or should we opt for less frequent, larger charges?
  • Charging speed: How does the choice between standard and high-speed charging impact the battery's longevity?

Unless you plan on keeping it for more than 10-15 years I wouldn't worry about it. I have had an i3 since late 2015. It still has more percantage of battery level than BMW stated it would lose annually. I truly thought I would be able to claim the battery replacement from BMW (below 70% in 10 years), but nope.
Also, the batteries in the i4 are much better than in the original i3's.
I did not baby my i3 at all - matter of fact, my wife charges it to full almost every other day.
The one thing I will say is that on the i3 we primarily charge at home on level 2. It also maxes out at about 52 amps whereas the i4 is at about 207 max.
The slower the charge the better for battery longevity.

Latest posts

Back