Bad weather and EV vehicle traction?

BMW i4 Forum

Help Support BMW i4 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSmith

Most of the US seems to be having bad weather. Especially Southern states with very cold temperatures and many are having snow and ice.
Are these vehicles heavy due to the battery weight? And aren't the batteries distributed under a large part of the body so not heavier in the front or back as gas vehicles are?

Would they have better or worse traction?

Yes, EVs can be relatively heavy due to the weight of the battery. The batteries are typically distributed under a large part of the body, which helps maintain a balanced weight distribution between the front and back, unlike traditional gas vehicles that might be front or rear-heavy.

In terms of traction, electric vehicles like the BMW i4 often have an advantage. The weight of the battery contributes to better stability and traction, especially in cornering situations. Additionally, electric motors can deliver instant torque to the wheels, enhancing overall traction and performance.

Electric car battery weight explained
by EVBox

How much an electric vehicle (EV) battery weighs depends greatly on the vehicle and model. On average, however, EV batteries weigh around 454 kg (1,000 pounds), although some can weigh as much as 900 kg (2,000 pounds).

As a rule of thumb, the heavier an EV battery, the more energy it can store and the higher the power it can deliver. Although this relationship is not always straightforward. A larger battery can help increase range, at the same time, the added weight also requires more energy.

Latest posts

Back