Long-term cost savings

BMW i4 Forum

Help Support BMW i4 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elise

Taking into account battery degradation, if my goal is long-term cost savings, is choosing an electric vehicle such as i4 a wise decision compared to traditional combustion engine cars?

When factoring in potential battery degradation, I think opting for an electric vehicle for long-term cost savings can be a smart choice compared to traditional cars. The efficiency and lower maintenance costs of EVs may contribute to overall savings.

Everybody has a different definition of long term. My idea of keeping a car long term may be five years. I did keep my NSX for 20 years, but that was a different animal altogether.
I have kept my i3 since 2016 because it has low miles and still drives like a new car. My wife loves the thing.
@Henry has a valid point to also consider. I have not had to take my i4 to the dealership since I picked it up. That is the first time that has ever happened. The first service interval for the i4 is at the two year mark - Crazy!
What you have also perhaps not taken to account is the way an electric vehicle performs. It is a vastly different experience than in an ICE. It is quieter, smoother, and a lot less stressful to drive than in an ICE. I can drive eight or nine hundred miles and not be tired or on edge when I arrive. This is mainly because I let the car do most of the work. - I have the Pro Driving option and I cannot recommend that option highly enough. It works beautifully in both city and highway driving.
I get in my car and it is like having free time to myself as it is almost relaxing and i crank the music. It does take a bit of getting used to, having the car drive by itself. But it works very well and the car is paying attention 100% of the time whereas when I am controlling it I am not.
Just some other things to consider.
For what is worth, having owned a few electric vehicles now, I can truly say that I do not want another ICE vehicle. They just aren't as good. When the prices are on a level playing field, I cannot see anyone choosing and ICE over an EV unless for nostalgia sake.

Thank you Guys. Your insights are truly enlightening. My concept of cost savings was too simplistic, primarily focusing on the escalating fuel costs, and I didn't consider all those impressive features that electric vehicles offer, as highlighted in your responses.:)

I've owned three i3 since 2013 and bought the i4 august 2022 and now have 18,000 miles on it. we save $7500 in US Fed credit and on the first two i3's WA state didn't charge tax or license fees, so another $4000, add $4000 in gas each of the last ten years and hardly any maintenance AND that we would have spent $60,000 on new cars anyway. we are way ahead, like $50k over ten years.
I still have a Range Rover and F150 and a company truck that are all ICE, the wife drives the EV exclusively and loves them.

I've owned three i3 since 2013 and bought the i4 august 2022 and now have 18,000 miles on it. we save $7500 in US Fed credit and on the first two i3's WA state didn't charge tax or license fees, so another $4000, add $4000 in gas each of the last ten years and hardly any maintenance AND that we would have spent $60,000 on new cars anyway. we are way ahead, like $50k over ten years.
I still have a Range Rover and F150 and a company truck that are all ICE, the wife drives the EV exclusively and loves them.
Sounds like you've had a great experience with BMW EVs. Your savings over the years are impressive.

Back