Order at public charging stations

BMW i4 Forum

Help Support BMW i4 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry

What are your opinions and considerations regarding the order at public charging stations, and how do you navigate situations where charging spaces become highly contested? Furthermore, what suggestions can you offer as potential solutions to address this issue?

All I can think of is to build more charging stations in more places. I'm thinking maybe in apartment complexes the parking could be set up and rented to members that have electric vehicles and need the charging stations. Then the owners may have to remember to plug in each evening and not go too far during the day.

Your suggestion of building more charging stations in various places, especially in apartment complexes, is a great idea. Creating dedicated parking spaces with charging stations for electric vehicles in residential areas can indeed encourage EV ownership and make it more convenient for users. Implementing such infrastructure addresses the need for accessible charging options.

All I can think of is to build more charging stations in more places. I'm thinking maybe in apartment complexes the parking could be set up and rented to members that have electric vehicles and need the charging stations. Then the owners may have to remember to plug in each evening and not go too far during the day.
It would be great if we can have this in our country. Malls here are offering free charging stations to customers. I also agree that it can encourage EV ownership among other reasons.

The issue isn't really build more charging stations...at this time. (I am not saying we do not need more....) The issue arises only at Electrify America stations that I have seen (West Coast US).
That is because a lot of manufacturers have included 1-3 years of inclusive charging at EA. If an EA is full, you can go to a ChargePoint around the corner and there might be one other vehicle charging there. There have been plenty of open charging spots whenever I have looked for them, just as there is usually a Queue at most of the EA stations, at least in southern California.
Makes me laugh a bit. I will see a 100k Mercedes waiting in a Queue at an EA and have seen fights occur over an EA spot. Some people are very self absorbed and apparently do not have any consideration of others.
And all along, for about $25 dollars they could have gone another block or two and not waited and avoid the aggravation.
I have had 3 i3's (still have one) since 2016. I bought my i4 in March 2023 and travel around California quite a bit and I have NEVER had to wait for a charger.
Unless I am at an EA Station - then I choose if I want to wait or not. Twice I have waited for about 5 minute's. Any longer than that and it is not worth my time to wait.
Another issue is that EA does not properly maintain their sights in a timely fashion. It takes months at certain locations for them to repair a non-functioning station. I figure this is down to not enough techs that know how to fix these at the moment.

Before manufacturers starting 'Including' charging with new purchases, there was not a queue for a station - not once. I imagine when the term runs out for the included charging for these vehicles, no-one will go to an EA as ChargePoint is just better. And less expensive as it goes.

Latest posts

Back